(For the next couple of days, I've forgotten to put the SD card back into the camera, so my pix for these next two entries will be added once I have found the appropriate USB cable!)
Not far from my station for last night, the trail begins to turn into farmland. Something in the cultivated land is blooming now and turning entire fields into swathes of yellow. It is quite beautiful. Also not far from the inn is a golf course!
But it doesn't take long before farmland takes the place of yesterday's urban scenery. And today, in the town of Heddon-on-the-Wall, I get my first sighting of real, honest-to-goodness, Roman wall!
The pictures I take are scenes from cropland and (semi) rural England. Exhausted, I get to my second stop, the Robin Hood Inn.
Up to this point, I have walked with a backpack. In talking with other walkers who are using the same guidebook I am, we strongly agree that the distances are under-estimated, and the times quoted to cover those distances are meant for 20-somethings who are walking as a super-fast clip!! We commiserated in our aches and frustrations.
And so on this day, I see clearly and study closely that vast gray area that lies between "stubborn" and "stupid". Since "stupid" is something I actively try to avoid, I have decided to support the local economy and drop the 6 British pounds (BP) per day that it takes for someone to take my pack to my next destination. Many parts of my achin' body will thank me for this!! If you laugh at me and you're over 30 years old, then me an' you 's gon' scrap.
No comments:
Post a Comment