Thursday, May 22, 2014

Day 6: Once Brewed to Gilsland

It started raining overnight. As I'm having breakfast, I look out the window to see horizontal rain. Great -- this is what I get to do a tough part of the trail in!! That's what I'm thinking as I finish breakfast...

I get myself packed up and go out to start the walk for the day, and it is really raining. And the rain is blowing straight into my face. And I look up to the ridge line where the trail is and I don't see the ridge, the trail, the Wall -- it is obscured by the clouds. Great. I can wait for the weather to clear... it is supposed to clear by noon... in that case, I'd have to haul @$$ to make it to my next stop... along a very tough, very slippery, very muddy section of the Path... Just great.

I make a strategic decision to walk to the nearby visitor's center for the Northumberland National Park, which overlaps with Hadrian's Wall Path for a short distance. While there, I run into two women from Alaska who are walking the Wall and who are looking for a ride to their next destination. So the three of us agreed to split the cost between us and solved the problem. I was very grateful for the solution!!

And so I spent the cold, windy, rainy, miserable day at my next stop, the Samson Inn in Gilsland.

1 comment: